Friday, September 11, 2009

At a Loss for Words

I got laid off 3 months, 3 weeks, and 2 days ago. I’d been in that job for 15 years. I was told on a Tuesday that Friday was my last day: 3 days to pack up and say goodbye in my haze of shock and grief.

On my last day, I walked out of the office carrying 6 magazines (evidence from my last year of editorial work), 3 framed pictures of my family, and 1 plant.

And there were tears. I don’t know how many.

As a writer, it pains me that numbers tell the story of my unemployment best. A fitting injustice. As if words have abandoned me altogether.

Well, this blog is my attempt to woo them back.

Because in those 3 months, 3 weeks, and 2 days, I’ve noticed stories and truths beneath the numbers.

I’ve experienced the glory of finally getting enough sleep. The need for a whole new category of clothes: daywear. The lessons of forgiveness. The introduction of new vocabulary, such as “unemployment tan” and COBRA. The absurdity of selling yourself on a single sheet of paper. The solidarity of un-friends. The staggering and sometimes silly revelations of unemployment dreams. The messy but necessary role of faith in this process. The hidden art of the cover letter. And so much more.

Since I find myself with extra time on my hands, and have several thoughtful and word-wise friends in the same unemployment boat, I thought why not journal this journey and create a community where others can share the ride.

So here we are: The Unemployment Diary.

Welcome.

And may none of us stay here very long.


What are your unemployment numbers?

3 comments:

  1. There are no words for that pain. My son also had the experience three months ago when he thought all was well. He has 2 children. A new door opened for him.

    I will certainly pray for you. Even those words don't comfort. Perhaps Psalm 91 will.
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Camerin,

    I love this post. Even though I've been unemployed for exactly the same number of days (what a coincidence, huh?), I still don't have a clue what an "unemployment tan" is...

    Anyway, I hope you keep these posts coming.

    -Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tyler-

    Ha! Sorry to confuse you. I just call it my unemployment tan these days since I'm home during the middle of the day to get sun. Don't know how that one started. :)

    Anyway, thanks for the kind words. Hope all is going okay on your own journey.

    Praying for you,
    -Camerin

    ReplyDelete